Jobs throughout state available to military
If you go
What: Washington State Transition Summit
Where: Joint Base Lewis-McChord
When: Tuesday to Thursday
Tuesday: A Military Spouse Symposium at the Hawk Transition Center, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.; Afterburner Military Transition Seminar at the Hawk Transition Center auditorium.
Wednesday: Kickoff and industry briefings at the American Lake Conference Center from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; networking opportunities reception from 5 to 7 p.m.
Thursday: Kickoff and interactive panel discussion at the McChord Field Hangars 9 and 10, from 9 to 11:30 a.m.; hiring fair from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Service members, military spouses and veterans looking to transition to civilian jobs will have a chance to participate in workshops and career development opportunities, industry briefings, an interactive panel discussion and a job fair during the Washington State Transition Summit at Joint Base Lewis-McChord Tuesday to Thursday.
This is the fourth time the event has been hosted at JBLM and the 53rd such event at military installations across the nation since the first such event in February of 2013, according to Marnie Holder, director of transition summits and virtual events, Hiring Our Heroes, U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation.
“We’re really excited to offer this event to transitioning service members, their families and veterans,” Holder said. “It’s a way to educate and inform and expose them to different industries locally and across the nation. It’s a great way to see what opportunities are out there and understand what it takes to get those jobs.”
The free, three-day event is coordinated by Hiring our Heroes, the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation, USAA and the Military Officers Association of America Military Family Initiative.
Holder said she recommends the event for participants at any stage in the transition process.
“It doesn’t matter where you are because it will help you make the transition or prepare for it,” she said, adding the event not only will help in resume building and review, but it also will provide information on salaries and pay negotiation techniques.
“There’s a wide variety of information provided that is helpful to anyone,” she said.
The event includes:
• Keeping A Career on the Move Military Spouse Symposium at the Hawk Transition Center, Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., with registration at 8:30 a.m., for spouses looking to continue or begin a career as their spouse transitions.
• Afterburner Military Transition Seminar, aimed at veterans and based on the nationally acclaimed veteran’s transition guide, “Down Range,” at the Hawk Transition Center auditorium, Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Event kickoff and industry briefings at the American Lake Conference Center Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Networking opportunities reception Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
• Kickoff and interactive panel discussion at the McChord Field Hangars 9 and 10, Thursday from 9 to 11:30 a.m. and a hiring fair from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Guest speakers at the event are: Patrick Murphy, former Army under secretary and Pennsylvania congressman and current Hiring Our Heroes ambassador; and Betty Welsh, Hiring our Heroes ambassador and wife of retired Gen. Mark Welsh III, former chief of staff of the Air Force.
Although registration is available Tuesday morning for the Military Spouse Symposium, it is best to register online prior to the event at: MOAA.org/spousesymposium and for the rest of the event at: uschamberfoundation.org/event/washington-state-service-member-transition-summit.
This article is reprinted by permission from