Catching up on Alabama, Auburn targets from The Opening
We’re almost at the halfway point of Nike Football’s The Opening in Beaverton, Ore. So far, we’ve only had Elite 11 competition, and watched quarterbacks, receivers and tight ends throw on air.
It gets better today and through Monday, when the event concludes. The other prospects compete today in a showcase and combine. Better news for me is that we get to talk to some of them later tonight.
7-on-7 play begins tomorrow, along with the lineman challenge. We’ll get to see in-state talents like offensive lineman Tank Jenkins, receiver Justyn Ross and running back Harold Joiner in a national setting.
Here’s what I have been able to get so far.
* Elite QB Justin Fields recently visited Alabama, and he’s been to Auburn more than once. It seems like Auburn has the better chance of the two to land Fields. Georgia, Florida and Florida State are also in the mix. Others are as well. Fields is doing all of the interviews here, but I still think he wants to keep as much as he can to the vest.
* California five-star quarterback Matt Corral has a final three of Alabama, Georgia and Florida. He has not visited Alabama yet, but plans to later this month. Hear from Corral here.
* Another California quarterback, four-star Jack Tuttle, is being pursued by Alabama despite his Utah commitment. He says that he does not plan to visit Alabama because he is committed to Utah. So, the only way I can see him visiting Alabama or elsewhere is if he backs off his commitment. From talking to him, that does not seem likely.
* Tanner McKee, yet another California quarterback, is an Alabama target. I haven’t yet talked to him here, but have in messages. He has visited Alabama previously. The 6-foot-6 McKee is slated to go on a Mormon mission after high school, so would be a class of 2020 recruit though he can commit now.
* Luke Ford is an impressive tight end here. He’s about 6-foot-7, 240 pounds from Illinois. He recently decommitted from Arkansas. Alabama is his leader right now, and Auburn is also in the mix. There’s a story to come from me after a talk with Ford, but he really wants to see how these schools use their tight end this fall. He says he’ll commit on Signing Day or during the Under Armour All-America game.
* Big news here for Alabama fans, as receiver Xavier Williams says he’s close to shutting down his recruitment. The south Florida receiver hears the chatter about him flipping to Miami and laughs it off. Alabama did a great job here connecting with his family.
* Justyn Ross, the state’s top prospect, and top national prospect Trevor Lawrence are on the same 7-on-7 team and have been working together all week. More details here.
Look for more content on Alabama and Auburn targets through Monday and even after The Opening finals.
This article is reprinted by permission from Source link